The vehicle is basically designed to last but you have to do proper maintenance on a regular basis. If you are thinking of driving thousands of miles without doing any repair then you have to replace the essential parts of your car. But if it’s a matter about your external component like shocks then it will be better if you learn How to replace shocks and struts by yourself.
If you know how to replace shocks and struts then you can perform the whole task in your home only. You may have fear if you do not have previous experience but if you read our guide and watch a youtube video then you can perform the whole task by yourself only. While performing the whole task you just have to keep faith in us.
Those who want to learn How to replace shocks and struts by themselves must read this guide with full of attention. Most of the vehicle owners or drivers have a question in their mind that how long to replace shocks and struts and my answer to all those car owners and driver is if you have driven your vehicle or car for more than 50000 miles then you must replace the shocks of your vehicle to enjoy smooth driving.
How to Replace Shocks and struts 2021
If you want to know How to replace shocks and struts then read this guide with full of attention as in this guide we are going to explain in a step by step process How to replace shocks and struts
- While replacing the old struts you have to disconnect from the struts. You should start the process of replacing from one side at a time. While replacing the old struts you must remember the position and location of all bolts and nuts while you remove it.
- Raise the vehicle after that support it with the help of a jack stand. Start it by soaking the strut flange nuts and bolts with rust penetrant. After that pop the hood and spray a strut tower by mounting nuts. Spin two lug nuts onto the studs after that you should tighten the nuts to make sure the rotors into the hub.
- Secondly, you must disconnect the stabilizer bar end link and any brake lines that must be secured to the strut. Now you must hold the stabilizer bar end link with a wrench after that you should loosen the nut with a socket or ratchet. Now push the end link out from the strut hole and move it to a side.
- Now use your muscles to lose the nuts of a strut. Remove them after that loosen the bolts. Now push the steering knuckle in and out to wiggle the bolts out from the holes.
- Fourthly separate the strut and the knuckle and pry the knuckle toward you until it pops out of the strut flange.
- Fifthly you should place a thin piece of plywood under the strut flange which will prevent from damaging the CV boot once you disengage the top part of a strut. You must use a ratcheting wrench or a socket to loosen the strut mount nuts located on the strut tower.
- Sixthly go towards the wheel so that you can support the strut at the time when you will remove the last nut. Now you must grab the strut bottom and spring and tilt the bottom out towards you. Nextly you should lower the strut until it clears the strut tower and lift it out. Now you must rest the strut on plywood and remove your old strut.
- Seventhly after removing the old struts install the new struts on your vehicle. After completing the whole task you must make sure that you have tightened all the nuts and bolts that you have loosened. Use a proper torque wrench so that you can perform the whole task perfectly.
Have a test Drive
Finally after completing the task of replacing shocks and struts you must go for a test drive. You should not drive too fast. Just drive on a slow normal speed to test whether everything is normal or not. If everything is smooth and you are not facing any problem while taking turn then you have completed the task well.
What are struts?
Struts are part of the structural makeup of your vehicle. Struts help in completing the suspension system which helps in running your vehicle both smoothly and efficiently.
There are some vehicles that have shocks and struts either mounted on the front or on the back of a vehicle. It is really important to know the difference with what you are working with once you go under the hood.
Why should you replace shocks and struts for a mustang?
Both shocks and struts are pretty important accessories of your vehicle. If shocks and struts got damaged then it will not only cause an uncomfortable ride but also it will start creating problems in your vehicle like tire burst and other.
If you are recognizing that your mustang is taking more than normal times to stop and you are not getting the comfort when your mustang is going through a bumpy road then the time has come to replace the shocks and struts of the mustang. If you want to keep your shocks and struts well then you must notice it on a regular basis.
How long to replace shocks and struts
You may have a question in your mind that how often to replace shocks and struts? My answer to your question is you should consider replacing the shocks and struts after driving your vehicle for more than 50000 miles.
If you notice that your vehicle is taking more than usual time to stop it and if you do not get comfortable while you are driving your vehicle on a bumpy road then you will know the time has come to replace the shocks and struts of your vehicle.
The leaking of a shock fluid is another sign that the time has come to replace the shocks and struts of your vehicle. When your vehicle is going through a bumpy road and shocks and struts are not bouncing back then the time has come to replace it.
Read More about – How to replace shock absorber
How much does it cost to replace shocks and struts
Now most of the vehicle owner have a question in their mind that how much does it cost to replace shocks and struts? I am going to answer that questio The cost of replacing shocks will vary as in this case you have to pay the price on two section.
At first you have to buy a new shocks so that you can replace the old shocks with a new one. That’s why at first you have to pay the bill of a new shocks and that depends on the quality of a shocks you wants.
If you wants a good quality shock then you have to pay higher amount but if you wants budget friendly one then you may have to pay lower price. But if you wants to know the overall price of a shocks and struts that will last for few years then I will say that $100 -$200 .
Last part is you have to do labour payment. Now labour payment will vary the charge of replacing shocks and struts is not same in every city that’s why it will vary from one city to anothe. But if you wants to know the basic rate or price of replacing shocks and struts then I will say that it will vary from $150 -$300.
Finally I can say that the the total cost of replacing shocks and struts can be from $300 to $500.
But if you know how to install shocks and struts or how to replace shocks and struts then you so not have to pay the labour charge at that time time the total cost will come to half.
As you do not have to pay single price to the labour. But it’s a muscular job to replace the shocks and struts that’s why you may need a help from your freinds and you may have to pay few price to them. So if you know How to install shocks and struts then the cost of replacing shocks and struts will be not more than $200-$250.
I think now you have understood the process of replacing shocks and struts is not so much tough. Just keep the tips in mind that we have mentioned above in a step by step process and remeber one thing that if you stay alert then you can do the whole task very easily without facing any problem.
You can look for our similar shocks related article