If you are a car enthusiast then you must know that a spark plug is a device that helps in passing electric current to the combustion chamber of a vehicle. Every automobile has a spark plug that’s why if you are a car driver or owner then you must know How to remove broken spark plug another thing that you should know is How long does it take to replace spark plugs
If you follow my guides then you will notice that it is quite easy to install and remove spark plugs. Removing spark plugs does not need any professional person but when you have to face real problems like removing the broken spark plugs at that time we get tensed or panicked and we do not have the idea that what we will do at that time.
If you read our guide about How to remove broken spark plug then you will have a proper idea about how to remove broken spark plug and we all know knowledge helps us in performing any task that’s why read this guide before removing spark plugs from your car or vehicle.
How to remove a broken spark plug
Now we are going to explain how to remove a broken spark plug in a step by step process
- Before removing the broken spark plug of your vehicle then you must make sure that the engine has been at a rest for a long period of time. So you should make sure that your car engine and the spark plug is cold.
- You should adjust the engine in such a way so that the piston is below the broken spark plug.
- If the hex head has come off and used a square cut easy out tool so that you can remove the rest of a spark plug. You should not use a spiral cut extraction bit because it can be a little bit risky. The plug may squeeze itself in a tighter way because a spiral cut can be the reason of expansion.
- While performing the task you need to have a lot of penetrating oil. You should soak the plug shell in the oil after that you should leave it for some time. You should not wait for few minutes because you have to wait for a long periods of time because the oil has to reach the threads and seep into them.
- Now you should use the spiral cut extraction a bit. Choose the perfect size so that the process will be a lot easier. While removing you must use steady pressure and rotate it with an anti-lockwise.
- Now the broken spark plug will come out quite easily.
- If you are still facing any kind of problem then you can ask a professional mechanic for your help.
How to install a new spark plug
Now we are going to explain How to install a new spark plug
- You should start the engine after removing the broken spark plug. It will remove any particles that may have settled in the exhaust valve.
- Before installing the new spark plug you should remember to use optimal pressure and you should be sure that the hands are not dirty.
- After replacing you should clean the spark plug on a regular basis. So after cleaning the old one you must install a new spark plug. If you are having a Jeep wrangler in your house then you must have best spark plugs for 4.0 jeep wrangler JK
What are the things that you have to know before removing broken spark plugs?
To remove the broken spark plugs from your car the first thing that you need is patience. If you are in a hurry-up then it is not going to help you. This is not such a hard task but at first, you need to get access to the plugs.
Accessing the spark plugs
We all know that getting access to a spark plug is quite easy. You should start the task by removing the high tension leads that provide electricity to your vehicle’s plug. You can perform the task by removing the coil pack bolts with a perfect socket or with a screwdriver.
I think you can perform the whole task either by reading my guide or by watching YouTube’s tutorial video for each specific vehicle.
Have a new Spark Plug
When you are doing the tune-up of a car engine the basic thing that you have to do is install a new plug.
Now you should know that every single spark plug has its life. So you have to replace the spark plugs of your vehicle after driving your car for a certain kilometer.
If your car has copper-made spark plugs then you must replace them after driving your car for 20 thousand miles on the other hand if you have platinum and iridium spark plugs then you must replace the spark plug after driving your car from 60 to 100 thousand kilometers.
Now before replacing the spark plugs use your own judgment or by watching the present condition of the spark plug of your car.
What is the reason for breaking off a spark plug?
- There are much reasons for breaking off a spark plug one of the reasons for breaking off a spark plug is improper handling of it and various other reason also
- The first reason for breaking a spark plug is maybe it was installed a long time ago.
- The second reason can be whoever has installed it may be done with dirty hands.
- Maybe cross-threading happened during the time of installation.
- During the time of installation, too much force has been used and that may be the reason for break down of your spark plug.
So all the reason tells us what are the reason for breaking off a spark plug. That’s why before installing the spark plug you must read our guide or watch a youtube tutorial video because most of the time spark plug breaks due to improper installation.
How long does it take to change spark plugs
Now you may have a question in your mind that How long does it take to change the spark plugs and my answer will be pretty simple that if you are thinking that the process of changing a broken spark plug will take only a few minutes then I will say you are totally wrong but it will take more than an hour to change the spark plug.
If you can perform the whole task by yourself then you can save many hundred dollars because you do not have to pay the labor charge.
If you are doing the whole task by yourself then you must do it with a peak performance by watching a youtube video or by reading our guides.
So if you want to get better service from your car then you must remove the spark plug attentively. Your car needs both love and care from you. Another thing that you must do after removing the broken spark plug has a test drive with your car or vehicle and notice whether everything is ok or not. While having a test drive try to drive your car at a normal speed because if you drive your car at a high speed then you may face another problem.