As you are reading this article by searching on google How long does it take to charge a car battery that means you are facing a battery charging issues. Car battery is a so much important part that without it your car will not even take start but most of us forget to take care about our car battery.
Now discuss about the main topic that is how long does it take to charge a car batter? If you keep your car in a starting position then generally it will take 2-4 hours to fully recharge the battery.
You must remember one thing that is if you drive your car on a daily basis then you do not have to think about charging the car battery because when the car runs automatically it charges the battery. But if you keep your car in a standby position for more than a month then you need to charge the car battery before starting it else it’s self will not work.
So if you want to keep charge on your car battery then either you should drive it daily basis or you should keep the car in a starting position for 10-15 minutes after 2-3 days.
In a below given list cartoolsguide has described which amp battery takes how much time to charge
- 2 AMP charger takes 24 to 48 hours to charge.
- 4 AMP charger takes 12 to 24 hours to charge.
- 10 AMP charger takes 3 to 6 hours to charge.
- 20 AMP charger takes 2 to 4 hours to charge.
- 40 AMP charger takes 30 minutes to 1 hours to charge.
How long does it take to charge a car battery while driving
Now we are going to explain about how long does it take to charge a car battery while driving? The answer of this question will varied because charging time depends on the condition of your car battery. If your car battery has little amount of charge left then it will take 30-40 minutes time and if your car battery has maximum charge then it will take less time and if your car battery has fully drained then it will take lot of time.
But if you want to know in general that how much time will it take to charge a car battery while driving then my answer will be 30 minutes but if your car battery is fully discharged then it may take longer times than my above mentioned time.
If you drive your car at a high speed then in general it takes 30 minutes to charge the battery.
How to revive a dead car battery
If you keep your car in seated position for more than a month then your car battery charge will die and if your car battery will die then it will cause huge problem because your car engine will not take start if your car battery dies that’s why even if you do not drive your car on a regular basis then also start your car engine and keep your car in a standby position for 10-15 minutes after 2-3 days if not possible then at list once in a weak to save your car battery from becoming dead.
Now during the pandemic situation or in case of any problem most of us do not drive our car or start our car engine for a long periods of time at that time how should we revive our car battery from that dead position given in this below four steps.
So if you are eager to know how to revive your car battery from dead position the scroll down and read our below given 4 easiest steps that are
- Epsom salt :- When your battery is suffering from low electrolyte level, use Epsom salt solution as electrolyte solution of your car battery. Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulphate) is a strong acid made of variety of hydrates that help in keeping chemical balance and bringing charging capacity to your dead battery. To prepare the solution , dissolve 1 part Epsom salt with 3 part warm distilled water. The warm solution is recommended because it speeds up the process. Then, fill each cell unit till the plates are covered by 1/4 to 1/2 electrolyte solution.
2. Aspirin Solution:- Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) is another chemically active solution that can be used as alternative to your electrolyte mix in your battery. Crush 12 aspirin tablets (350mg-500mg) and dissolve this powder in 6 oz. warm distilled water. Then add it to each cell unit. It may take extra water.
3. Distilled water:- If you don’t have Epsom salt and aspirin ,you can use distilled water as electrolyte booster of your car battery. It will give more reaction in a few more turning of engine if the plates are submerged in distilled water.
4. Jump start :- A jump start, second battery or boost, can be used for reconditioning of your dead car battery. Connect your dead car battery to the charged battery of another vehicle or to 18 volt drill battery. You can buy this battery from auto shops. Don’t jump-start a frozen battery because it could explode. Firstly thaw it and then attempt to jump start.
If the above methods do not work, consult a professional or buy a new branded car battery. The article has shown you some tips to prevent your battery from untimely demise –
- Drive regularly so that the alternator keep your battery charged at optimum level. At least run your car once in a week.
2. If your car is sat for an extended period, charge your battery with a trickle charger.
3. Don’t let your car sit in hot and cold temperatures. Park your car in a shaded area of a garage.
4. Avoid deep cycling.
5. Consult a professional to check the function of charging system.
How to keep car battery charged when not in use
When you drive your car regularly, the alternator keep your battery charged. But, when your car is sat for a long time, at that time your car battery starts to drain. To prevent your car battery from draining, you have to know how to keep your car battery charged when not in use. The following steps will show the way outs :-
- Before starting off your car you must turn off the electrical devices like AC, radio, Bluetooth, fan-light, alarming system. If you turn off all these electrical devices before leaving your car it will allow your car battery to consume more electric power.
- Do not keep your car on a excessive heat because it will quickly drain the charge of your car battery. So if you want to consume the charge of your car battery for a long periods of time then you must keep your car on a cool places.
- When you keep your car on a standby position for a long periods of time at that time do not go for a short trip because in a short car battery does not get the ample time to fully recharge the battery. That’s why if you start your car after a long periods of time you must go for a long trip to fully charge your car battery.
- Keep your car battery clean from dirt and debris on a regular basis because it removes the power draining grime. To keep your car battery clean you can prepare a mixture of baking soda and distilled water and apply it with a clean towel or spray bottle or brush dipping into the solution.
- Buy a standard battery charger to recharge your battery while your car is not in use. Remember fast charging overheats to your battery. A trickle charger is the safest one that charges your battery slowly and automatically stops when fully charged.
- If you keep your car in a standby position for a long periods of time then start your car after 2-3 days or once a week which will allow the alternator to produce current for battery charging.
- Appoint a professional to make sure whether your car battery system functions properly or not.
How long does it take to charge a car battery when its remain sited idly?
IF you want to know How long does it take to charge a car battery when its remain sited idly then read our following points
You will be surprised to know that your car battery is not only recharged from driving but also from idle condition. As soon as the engine is on, the alternator transfers power from engine to your car battery.
The charging time of your car battery depends on the quality of your car battery. If you have new car battery in your car then it will take less time to recharge the battery but if you have older car battery then it will take time to recharge it.
Generally, 10-15 minutes is sufficient for complete charging for an idling car. But this is not an effective way to charge your car battery. After operating the electrical system of your car, a low amount of current remains to charge your battery during idling.
If you do not switched on your electrical devices then it will take less time to recharge the car battery. But if you keep switched on off your electrical devices then it will take more time to recharge the battery.
As the mechanical action takes place with the engine crankshaft, the alternator produces AC current and transfers it to the battery while your car is idling.
If the battery is branded, a flat battery is recharged by 80 percent within 2 hours by idling. But it is not suggested for effective charging of your battery as idling does not allow your battery to be fully charged as maximum power is not produced by this.
How long can a car battery sit unused
Many car owner and enthusiast have this question in their mind that for how long can a car battery sit unused? I will say it depends on the condition of your car battery. If you have a new car battery then you can keep your car battery sit unused for at list 2 months without having any problem.
Secondly if you keep your car electronic gadgets switched off before starting off your car engine then you can keep your car battery sit unused for a long periods of time.
What are then electronic gadgets you should switched off before leaving off? You must switched off the AC, Music system, any interior and exterior car lights, Clock, radio, Bluetooth, alarming security systems to keep your car battery sit unused for a long periods of time.
Another important thing you must remember that is do not keep your car at hot or cold temperature.
If you are still reading this article then I think you have got the information about how long does it take to charge a car battery? Because throughout this article we have mentioned how long does it take to charge different AMP car battery which will help you to get the information about the charging time taken by the car battery to recharge it.
If you still have any question regarding the charging time taken by the car battery then you must feel free to ask me through below given comment section.
Look for our similar battery-related article